now if you – like me – are into whole foods, you know that it can be difficult getting that tofu to a delicious enough golden crispiness, without frying it in oil.
don’t fret – here’s my how to guide !
( by the way, do you remember my first what i eat in a day video ? i made a similar dish at the end of that video and you’ve been asking me ever since to share the recipe, so here it is finally ! )
to be clear, it’s not that i’m scared of fat. i just prefer getting the fat in its original plant packaging ( like nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, bananas ), rather than in the form of oil. when we eat the whole nut or olive, we get so many more valuable nutrients than just the fat. so although i sometimes use oil for it’s non-stick properties, i prefer not to and enjoy trying to find ways to go around it in recipes.
golden crispy tofu, oil-free
400 g firm tofu
2-3 tbsp polenta
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast ( optional, but highly recommended )
salt & white pepper, to taste
– preheat your oven to 225° C / 440° F.
– slice the tofu very thinly. place one by one of a kitchen towels and cover with another kitchen towel sheet. place something heavy on top, like a heavy cutting board, or a cutting board with a water bottle on top. press for at least 15 mins.
– on a plate, mix the remaining ingredients. coat the tofu slices on both sides and place on a parchment paper covered oven tray.
– bake for about 20-30 minutes ( depending on how firm / moist your tofu is – you might need even longer ), flipping the slices over at half time.
– can be served hot or cold, with just about anything – on sandwiches, in a salad, as a snack, in a stew, or – like here – with red lentil rice, and garlic sautéed savoy cabbage and green beens yum !
try adding sesame seeds or smear the slices in a bit of tahini. delicious.
any other how to videos you’d like me to make ?
love // jenny
p.s. make sure to never miss a post – follow me on bloglovin’ !
check out some other tofu recipes.
or do me a solid and support me on patreon.