today’s recipe is part of a collab we’re doing with the brilliant megan of youtube channel chonunmigooksaram !
megan is the best, her videos are funny and entertaining as hell, mostly about her experiences as an american immigrant in south korea. her vids make me so jealous – i’ve been dying to go to korea for such a long time now.
and by the way, we’re thrilled to hear that megan recently decided to try on a vegan diet ^^
so when better to team up ?
we’re each making a korean dish, just replacing some stuff in the traditional recipe to make it vegan !
i’m making a simplified version of bibimbap and megan is doing a bibimguksu with a vegan hardboiled egg on top – say what !?
have a look at her video here.
as i say in the video – i’ve tried to simplify my bibimbap, making it easier to have even if you’re not living close to an asian food shop.
i’ve made burmese tofu ( chickpea tofu ) which is incredible and so easy. let me know if you want the recipe !
you can also use un-cooked silken tofu, scrambled firm tofu, or fried firm tofu. or why not use avocado chunks ?
instead of the gochujang i’ve used my homemade chilli sauce ( both this recipe and the burmese tofu are in my cookbook, let me know if you want the recipe ). feel free to use store bought if you want of course !
these are just the ingredients that i prefer using, but you go ahead and choose whatever veggies you like !
2 portions cooked medium grain, or short grain, rice ( brown or white )
about 6-8 radishes, quartered
1/3 cucumber, thinly sliced ( seeds removed )
3 tbsp rice vinegar
250 g / 0.5 lb spinach
2 small carrots, thinly sliced
about 8 small mushrooms, quartered
100 ml / 0.4 cup chilli sauce, homemade or store-bought ( or gochujang, use less in that case )
a handful of burmese tofu cubes ( or regular tofu, fried )
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt & white pepper
1 green onion, sliced
toasted sesame seeds, to taste
serve with light soy sauce and my homemade kimchi ( optional )
– place cucumber slices and radishes in two different bowls. sprinkle with salt and add half of the rice vinegar to each bowl, making sure the veggies are covered. let sit.
– wilt the spinach in boiling water for less than a minute. remove the hot water, and cover the spinach in ice cold water straight away. when cold, squeeze to remove the excess water. sprinkle with salt and 1/3 of the garlic. let sit.
– sauté the carrots and mushrooms in a little bit of water, salt and white pepper until just softened, but with still crunch left in the carrots.
– in a small wet bowl, add half of the cooked rice, and press down gently with a spoon. turn the bowl upside down in a larger bowl, creating a rice globe in the middle of the larger bowl. repeat for the second serving.
– place the different prepared veggies and the chilli sauce around the rice globe. add tofu on top, and sprinkle with a generous amount of sesame seeds and green onion.
– mix and eat ! great with some light soy sauce and kimchi mixed in.
like i say in the video, i’m happy to share my recipe for homemade chilli sauce and burmese tofu. let me know if you want me to make videos on either of them.
and don’t forget to give megan some love – go check out her brilliant youtube channel and click that subscribe button !
love // jenny
p.s. make sure to never miss a post – follow us on bloglovin’ !
or do us a solid and support us on patreon.