ever since i made the vegan bibimbap video a couple of weeks back, you’ve been asking me to share my homemade chilli sauce recipe. this recipe is of course vegan, it’s also oil-free and without using any other sweetener than a couple of dates.
it’s also incredibly versatile, you can easily modify it to suit different kinds of dishes. more about that below.
this is actually a recipe from my cookbook by the way.
did you see how easy that was ? i love having a batch of this in the fridge, to use for anything from pasta, and on crackers, to soup bases and for my potato wedges with mustard.
homemade hot chilli sauce
about 4-500 ml / 2 cups tomato passata
1 onion, halved with peel left on
2 garlic cloves ( or a whole garlic if you like garlic as much as i do )
2-3 red chillis ( or more, do a taste test to figure out spiciness ), greens removed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 large or 4 small dates, pitted and soaked in water if very dry ( add more if you like a sweeter sauce )
salt & pepper, to taste
variation suggestions :
– gochugaru ( korean chilli flakes ) and grilled red peppers makes it great for korean food.
– mix in kimchi and blend. will blow your mind !
– white miso paste and nutritional yeast will give it a fuller, more nutty flavour.
– chipotle or smoked paprika if you want a smokier version.
– set the oven on broil.
– place onion and garlic, flat side down, on a parchment paper covered oven tray. grill for 5-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
– pop in the peppers and grill for another 3-4 minutes, just until the skin on the peppers start to brown/blacken slightly. remove from heat, and discard the peel of the onion and garlic.
– in a blender, mix all ingredients until smooth. you can start with a little of the chilli first and taste the spiciness before adding more.
– simmer on low heat to reduce, for about 20-30 mins, until wanted consistency.
– keep in airtight, thoroughly cleaned glass container in the fridge. will stay fresh for a couple of weeks.
you can also check out my meal plan for the week for some more food inspo.
and that’s it for today – have a good one sweeties !
love // jenny
p.s. make sure to never miss a post – follow us on bloglovin’ !
or do us a solid and support us on patreon.